We had to dig very deep to find this one. It is from a documentary on MTV called "24 hours in music." Giant Step was chosen as the late night club. It captures Giant Step at the height of it's period at Supper Club in NY and it features a rare footage of a Repercussions performance, DJ Smash and an interview with Giant Step CEO Maurice Bernstein.
Here at last are our staff picks of the year. Undeniably the most varied list we've had so far, some of the artists we'll remember 2011 for include: Raphael, Saadiq, James Blake, Adele, Michael Kiwanuka, The Weeknd, and SBTRKT. Chocked full of each our personal tastes and quirks, it's best to eschew any further generalizations. We suggest you dive head long into our favorite albums, singles, movies and more.
See the full list here.
Here is a blast from the past. In the summer of 2001 we brought Basement Jaxx to Central Park Summerstage as part of our Miles Ahead music series. They put on a serious show that day with Brazilian carnival dancers and the park was rocking! A few weeks after the show NY was attacked and the World Trade Center destroyed. For us, this event captures that pre-9/11 innocence of the city.
More from the vault! Now this really is a rare gem and we're not sure if it's ever been seen before. This is the footage from the famous launch party at Supper Club NY for the release of Nuyorican Soul's album. It features behind the scenes interviews plus footage of the jam session with George Benson, Tito Puente, Vince Montana and Roy Ayers. This was one of our favorite parties of all time! We even found the old flyer.
Gilles Peterson's Christmas party in Hackney may have come and gone, but we're still feeling this mixtape he compiled for it. It's brightening our Holiday season, and we think it will do the same for you. From Eddie Jefferson to Chaka Khan, Nina Simone and Betty Lou, this is the equivalent of a Brownswood Basement session the way only GP can. Enjoy.
Download (right-click, save as...)
01. Eddie Jefferson – So What (Prestige)
02. Tom Browne – Throw Down (Grp)
03. Renzo Fraese – 12 Engle Street (Pye)
04. Rahni Harris – Six Million Steps (Inspiration)
05. Paulette Reeves – Jazz Freak (Blue Candle)
06. Chaka Khan – Night In Tunisia (Warners)
07. Don Blackman – Hearts Desire (Arista)
08. Nina Simone – Vous etes seuls, je desire etre avec vous (Carrere)
09. Charles Mingus – Flowers For A Lady (Atlantic)
10. Betty Lou – I Can’t Stop (Yaya)
11. Back East – Deeper And Deeper (Satellite)
12. Carmela Coren – Walk On By (Cbs)
13. Ellen Mcllwaine – Wings Of A Horse (Polydor)
14. Georgette – Kirie (Tapecar)
15. Celia – Na Boca Do Sol (Continental)