HBO’s Boardwalk Empire returns for its fourth season this coming Sunday, and Giant Step has partnered with HBO, ABKCO Records and Sony Music Entertainment for a special music project entitled Sounds of The Onyx that features rare jazz recordings from the Prohibition Era remixed by some of the best contemporary urban music producers. Vibe kicked things off today with the release of Vince Giordano & The Nighthawks’ “Sugarfoot Stomp” remixed by Pete Rock. It is available for free download via facebook.com/abkco. The entire project will be available for stream only on September 16th. Check out the full tracklisting below.
While the other remixes utilize vintage 1920’s recordings, Pete Rock was the only collaborator tasked to remix one of the new recordings from the official soundtrack: a cover version of the classic composition performed by Giordano and the NYC jazz ensemble, who serve as the Boardwalk Empire house band.
Volume 2 of the show’s official soundtrack is available now and features all new recordings from a wide range of vocalists – from Elvis Costello and Patti Smith to St. Vincent and The National’s Matt Berninger – singing timeless standards and forgotten gems from the 1920s. Download it now on iTunes.
Sounds of The Onyx
1. Vince Giordano & The Nighthawks “Sugarfoot Stomp” (Pete Rock Remix)
2. Eva Taylor & Clarence Williams’ Blue Five “Red Hot Flo From Kokomo (Jazz Vampires)” (DJ Jazzy Jeff Remix)
3. Ethel Waters “One Sweet Letter From You” (Om’Mas Keith Remix)
4. Lloyd Scott & His Orchestra “ Happy Hour Blues” (Shafiq Husayn Remix)
5. Jim Jackson “Bootlegging Blues” (JayCeeOh & B-Sides Remix)
6. Charlie Johnson’s Paradise Ten Orchestra “You Ain’t The One” (Tall Black Guy Remix)