Today is a special day as we celebrate an artist with immeasurable talent and an endless well of potential who left us too soon. Amy Winehouse today releases Lioness: Hidden Treasures, a 12-track collection featuring unreleased material, alternate song versions from a woman who was known to bring something new with every delivery, and a couple of brand new compositions as well. The album was put together by longtime collaborators Salaam Remi and Mark Ronson along with input from Amy's family. In the video above, hear Salaam Remi himself share the story behind Lioness. Below, we're very excited to share a free download for a new track called "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" as well.
With the December 6th fast approaching, we're sure many of you want to reserve yourself a copy of the upcoming Amy Winehouse album. Shoot, you probably are going to want to go all out and pick up a CD that you can put under your pillow - don't front. And unlike mp3's that the internets can't necessarily run out of, we are pretty sure that these CD's will soon be backordered, especially with the holidays coming up. So, just a heads up that pre-orders are now available for Lioness.
Also, above is the video for "Our Day Will Come," a beautiful montage of Amy footage and photos.
1. “Our Day Will Come" (produced by Salaam Remi. 2002)
2. “Between The Cheats” (produced by Salaam Remi. May 2008)
3. “Tears Dry” (produced by Salaam Remi. November 2005)
4. “Wake Up Alone” (produced by Paul O’Duffy. March 2006)
5. “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow” (Shirelles original. produced by Mark Ronson, featuring Dap Kings. September 2004)
6. “Valerie” (produced by Mark Ronson. December 2006)
7. “Like Smoke” with Nas (produced by Salaam Remi. May 2008)
8. “The Girl From Ipanema”(produced by Salaam Remi. May 2002)
9. “Halftime” (produced by Salaam Remi. August 2002)
10. “Best Friends” (produced by Salaam Remi. February 2003)
11. “Body & Soul” with Tony Bennett (produced by Phil Ramone. Recorded at Abbey Road Studios. March 2011. Amy’s final recording)
12. “A Song For You” (Leon Russell original. produced by Salaam Remi. Spring 2009)
For those of you that missed the news, there is a new Amy Winehouse album on the horizon. Called Lioness, the album will release December 5th and features a mix of unreleased material, demos, and alternate versions to popular tracks.
Find a complete listing of tracks and descriptions on Amy's website.
Below you'll find streams for a couple singles that played on radio last week. "Our Day Will Come" premiered on BBC's Radio 1 and "Like Smoke" featuring Nas premiered on New York's Hot 97. Enjoy!
Inspired by New Orleans marching bands, Balkan Brass, and hip-hop, the Hackney Colliery Band was formed in 2008 by a group of London horn players looking to serve up their own British variety of brass tunes. Already having sold out shows at Scala and Jazz Café, which featured a surprise guest appearance from Amy Winehouse, the band has already stirred quite a buzz. A few weeks ago, HCB released their first album and we are loving the energy - the personality in their music is palpable.
The music is eclectic and highly collaborative; Various band members bring in whatever tickles their fancy to rehearsals, including 90s hip hop, pop classics, cartoon samples, rock ballads, and Balkan tunes alike. The result is a melting pot of delicious sound with funk and flavor for days. And we got a particular kick out of the Blackstreet and Red Hot Chili Peppers' covers.